Here are the highlights from the grand inauguration.
On Wednesday, Joe Biden and Kamala Harris were sworn as the President and Vice President of the United States, marking a new dawn for the country. Despite fears of disruption after the Capitol siege that took place on January 6, the inauguration went smoothly. In fact, it went a little more than smoothly. The star-studded affair was a beautiful display of unity showcasing inspiring Americans. From Amanda Gorman’s powerful poem recital to sartorial show-stoppers, here are the highlights from the ceremony.
1. 200,000 flags were installed at the National Mall to represent the attendees that couldn’t be there on the day
2. Lanterns were lit to memorialize lives lost to COVID-19 on the eve of the Biden inauguration
3. Kamala Harris made history as the nation’s first female Vice President
5. Lady Gaga gave us Hunger Game vibes and delivered a breathtaking performance
6. The White House welcomed the new residents
7. We all took a moment to appreciate this monochromatic magic happening with all the colorful coats
8. Biden rejoined the Paris Climate agreement on his first day in office, and had plans to do all this too:
9. Bernie Sanders (and gloves) were a whole mood and became a viral meme
9. It put inspiring women center stage
10. The Obamas showed their support (which involved a fair amount of fist pumps)
Featured Image: Joe Biden via Twitter