After 58 years, the home goods store will close its doors for good.
This marks the end of an era. The mall staple that sells anything from wicker chairs to glassware, has been struggling to keep up with the high speed and low prices of retailers like Wayfair and Amazon for a while. Now, the additional state of retail has decimated all hope.
After filing for bankruptcy protection this year, the Fort Worth company announced that it was unsuccessful in finding a buyer for its business. They’re not the only chain to file this month, they join JCPenney, Neiman Marcus, J Crew. All citing the pandemic.
Since April last year, the chain has been closing down to stay in businesses. Then, earlier this year, the company announced that it would be reducing its retail footprint in order to “better align its business with the current operating environment.” But it seems the combination of COVID-19 closures and a tough retail landscape have sealed their fate.
“It is now clear that Pier 1’s future does not involve any brick-and-mortar retail locations,” Pier 1 said in court filings.
Stores that are still open plan to have big closing down sales to try and recover costs through the sale of assets like intellectual property.
These are all the stores closing in California:
- Aliso Viejo: 26771 Aliso Creek Road
- Arroyo Grande: 901 Rancho Parkway
- Chula Vista: 878 Eastlake Parkway
- Citrus Heights: 6245 Sunrise Blvd.
- Colma: 101 Colma Blvd.
- Cupertino: 20610 Stevens Creek Blvd.
- Del Mar: 2671 Via De La Valle
- Escondido: 1272 Auto Parkway
- Eureka: 3300 Broadway St.
- Fremont: 39198 Fremont Blvd.
- Goleta: 6996 Marketplace Drive
- La Jolla: 8657 Villa La Jolla Drive
- Long Beach: 7641 Carson Blvd.
- Los Angeles: 5711 Hollywood Blvd.
- Los Gatos: 636 Blossom Hill Road.
- Manhattan Beach: 1800 C Rosecrans Ave.
- Marina Del Rey: 13455 Maxella Ave.
- Merced: 1778 W Olive Ave.
- Mission Viejo: 28371 Marguerite Parkway
- Montclair: 5440 Moreno St.
- Napa: 3900 Bel Aire Plaza
- Newport Coast: 8072 East Coast Highway
- Northridge: 8940 Tampa Ave.
- Novato: 108 Vintage Way
- Orange: 763 S Main St.
- Pacific Grove: 490 Lighthouse Ave.
- Pasadena: 422 South Lake Ave.
- Redwood City: 1087 El Camino Real.
- Riverside: 2800 Campus Parkway
- Riverside: 3784 Tyler St.
- Salinas: 1520 North Main St.
- San Clemente: 415 East Avenida Pico
- San Francisco: 3535 Geary Blvd.
- San Mateo: 2003 Chess Drive.
- San Rafael: 409 Third St.
- Santa Maria: 230 East Betteravia Road
- Santa Monica: 3000 Wilshire Blvd.
- Studio City: 12160 Ventura Blvd.
- Thousand Oaks: 33 N Moorpark Road
- Torrance: 23000 Hawthorne Blvd.
- Tustin: 2822 El Camino Real.
- Visalia: 4018 S Mooney Blvd.
- Walnut Creek: 1902 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
- West Covina: 2700 E Workman Ave.
Featured Image: JJBers via Flickr