X Games California 2023 has arrived with three action-packed days the whole family will love. For all your planning needs, in this article you’ll find everything you need to know to make this festival the highlight of your summer!
What Is X Games California 2023?
If you’ve never heard of X Games, it’s the premiere action sports competition in the world! “Action sports” includes a wide range of athletics that typically involve a lot of speed and risk. Some action sports include skateboarding, dirt bike riding, BMX, and snowboarding.
At X Games California 2023, three of the most popular action sports will be featured: Skateboarding, Moto X, and BMX. Outrageous and innovative tricks are the focus of X Games competitions, so fans can be sure to see these athletes push their sports forward in game-changing ways.
Where & When Is X Games California 2023 Being Held?
X Games California 2023 are currently being held (July 21-23) at the Ventura County Fairgrounds and Event Center (10 W Harbor Blvd).
Actually, X Games has been moving up the West Coast with events in San Diego and Los Angeles. Your tickets will get you access to the main event—Finals weekend—where only the best athletes are going for gold!
History of X Games
X Games began when ESPN realized there was significant interest in action sports such as skateboarding. In 1994, it was announced that the first competition (then called “Extreme Games” would be held the following year in Rhode Island. Events included bungy jumping, in-line skating, skysurfing, water sports and more.
It was originally planned for these “Extreme Games” to be held every 2 years, but after an incredible response and an attendance of nearly 200,000 people, ESPN quickly decided to make the games a yearly event. They also changed the name to X Games, and the competition has only grown in popularity and significance since!
X Games Schedule 2023 – Who Can You Expect To See?
At X Games California 2023, you can expect to see the best action sports athletes in the world. These are just some of the invited athletes:
- Nyjah Huston
- Sky Brown
- Rayssa Leal
- Ryan Sheckler
- Leticia Bufoni
- Dashawn Jodan
- Jamie Foy
- Elliot Sloan
- Curren Caples
- Oskar Rozenberg
- and more!
- Ryan Williams
- Kevin Peraza
- Garrett Reynolds
- Logan martin
- Bryce Tryon
- Justin Dowell
- Andy Buckworth
- Dennis Enarson
- Boyd Hilder
- Mykel Larrin
- Lewis Mills
- and more!
- Jackson Strong
- Colby Raha
- Luc Ackermann
- Rob Adelberg
- Tyler Bereman
- Harry Bunk
- David Rinaldo
- Josh Sheehan
- and more!
Where Should I Stay?
There are several hotels near the Ventura County Fairgrounds and Event Center that you can book for the three-day festival:
Below $100 per night
- Travelers Beach Inn (929 E Thompson Blvd) – 4 min. drive, 18 min. walk to fairgrounds
- Motel 6 Ventura (350 E Thompson Blvd) – 3 min. drive, 8 min. walk to fairgrounds
$100-$200 per night
- Clocktower Inn Ventura (181 E Santa Clara St) – 3 min. drive, 8 min. walk to fairgrounds
- The Pierpont Inn (550 Sanjon Rd) – 7 min. drive, 25 min. walk to fairgrounds
- Amanzi Hotel, Ascent Hotel Collection (298 S Chestnut St) – 5 min. drive, 15 min. walk to fairgrounds
$200+ per night
- Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach (450 E Harbor Blvd) – 3 min. drive, 8 min. walk to fairgrounds
How Do I Get There From LA?
Hopping on the 101 will take you all the way to Ventura, but traffic, where you’re coming from, and whether you want a more scenic route may make two other routes more ideal for you:
- Take the 101 (North) all the way to Ventura
- Get on 110 (North) and take it to the 5 (North)
- After 18 miles, get off the 5 and onto 118 (West)
- Continue for 25 more miles, then get onto 23 (South)
- Continue for 8 miles, then merge onto the 101 (North) to Ventura
Route 3 (the scenic route)
- Get on the 10 (West) until you reach the Santa Monica Pier and it turns into Highway 1
- Take Highway 1 (North) for 40 miles until it turns into the 101 (North) OR get off Highway 1 at Los Virgenes Ave and take it up to the 101 (North)
- Take the 101 (North) to Ventura
It’s always nice to travel without having to worry about your car, and luckily Ventura station is just a one minute walk away from the Ventura County Fairgrounds and Event Center.
From Union Station, the route is:
- Glendale (GDL)
- Burbank – Downtown (BBK)
- Burbank – Hollywood Burbank Airport (BUR)
- Van Nuys (VNC)
- Northridge (NRG)
- Chatsworth (CWT)
- Simi Valley (SIM)
- Moorpark (MPK)
- Camarillo (CML)
- Oxnard (OXN)
- Ventura (VEC)
If you drive to X Games but don’t want to pay for parking (more details in the next section, ‘Parking at the Fairgrounds’), you can leave your car at the Pacific View Mall (3301 E Main St, Ventura) for free. Gold Coast Transit will offer busses to the Ventura Fairgrounds and tickets can be purchased day-of ($1.50 per trip).
Parking at the Fairgrounds
There are GA and VIP parking options available for X Games California 2023 before July 20. Once the competition gets started, VIP parking (which allows you to exit and re-enter the lot during the event) will no longer be available, and the price for GA parking will slightly increase:
- Before July 20
- VIP parking: $35
- GA parking: $25
- On event days
- GA parking: $30 (first-come, first-served)
Besides The Sports, What Is There To Do At X Games California 2023?
There’s plenty of action on the X Games schedule for 2023, but there’s even more to enjoy than the sports with X Fest! If you’re not familiar with X Fest, it’s a three-day interactive festival that will be happening alongside the competition. And the best part is that X Fest is included with your X Games ticket!
Some of the fun X Fest will be bringing to X Games California 2023 includes:
- FlowRider portable wave machine (bring your swimsuit!)
- Drone flying course
- Remote control truck park
- Ninja Warrior obstacle course
- Hot Wheels mini ramp
- BMX & skateboard parks
- Pump track
- Strider track
- Athlete autograph signings
- And more!
To make things even better, the fairgrounds are located right on the water. So you can hit the beach, watch Nyjah Huston, and hit the skate park—all in the same day.
Are You Ready To Be A Part Of History?
There’s so much to discover at this year’s X Games, and the party’s already gotten started! So grab your tickets, start planning your trip, and we’ll see you at X Games California 2023!