The city of Pasadena is celebrating all things cheeseburger through Friday, January 11! 🍔
As legend has it, Lionel Sternberger invented the ever popular cheeseburger back in 1924 while working at his father’s restaurant, a quaint little roadside stand called the Rite Spot. Apparently, on a bored afternoon, Lionel threw a slice of American cheese on a patty and voilà – The Cheeseburger was born!
Lionel originally called his creation the Aristocratic burger and it sold for only 15 cents! (You can scope an old Rite Spot menu at the Pasadena Museum of History.) To commemorate the success of their former local citizen, the city of Pasadena pays homage to Lionel’s creation for a week-long each year! During Pasadena Cheeseburger Week, over 35 restaurants offer special menu items and deals – check out all of the participants and peep at what everyone is offering, here.
If you can’t settle with one place to grab a bite, rally up a burger loving crew and embark on a Cheeseburger Crawl! The idea is that you pick around four places to visit, order a cheeseburger and cut it into quarters, and after each participant has a taste, move on to the next restaurant! Enjoy amazing food, throw back a couple of beers, and even vote for your favorites in the Cheeseburger Challenge!
We’ve included a list of a handful of Cheeseburgers provided by the Official Pasadena Visitors site.
TRADITIONAL CHEESEBURGER CRAWL
1. Pie ‘n Burger | 913 E. California Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91106
Eater LA named their burger “LA’s Most Iconic Burger“.
2. Du-par’s | 214 South Lake Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91101
A beloved diner-chain that began over 70 years ago. It was founded in LA, and the Executive Chef is Spago alumnus.
3. The Counter | 140 Shoppers Ln, Pasadena, CA 91101
Contemporary chain with customizable gourmet burgers, including vegetarian, plus beer & wine.
OLD PASADENA CHEESEBURGER CRAWL
1. Central Grille| 219 S. Fair Oaks Ave. Pasadena, CA 91105
While their cuisine is technically American, their menu incorporates strong Italian, Mexican, and French influences.
2. Umami Burger | 49 E Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91105
Hip burger spot known for playful flavors for meat lovers.
3. Mi Piace | 25 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena, CA 91105
Mi Piace is popular, offering fresh, light Italian cooking embellished with New York flavors as well as a variety of exotic cuisine.
4. POP Champagne & Dessert Bar | 33 E Union St, Pasadena, CA 91103
Romantic space with elegant menu offerings (and original Batchelder tiles).
SOUTH LAKE AVENUE CHEESEBURGER CRAWL
1. The Counter | 140 Shoppers Ln, Pasadena, CA 91101
Contemporary burger chain where you build-your-own burger.
2. Green Street Restaurant | 146 Shoppers Ln, Pasadena, CA 91106
A Pasadena staple from 1979, specializing in California cuisine.
3. Del Frisco’s Grille | 55 S Lake Ave, Suite 150, Pasadena, CA 91101
Very popular with people who work in the offices nearby, the menu features several fan favorites.
BEER AND CHEESEBURGER CRAWL
This itinerary is meant to be paired with a ride share service (Uber or Lyft) or a designated driver.
1. Lucky Baldwin’s | 17 S Raymond Ave, Pasadena, CA 91105
Family-run British pub located in Old Pasadena.
2. Dog Haus Biergarten | 93 E Green St, Pasadena, CA 91105
Casual parlor with benches and picnic tables and a full bar. Burgers here are made with Hawaiian sweet rolls.
3. The Tap Room at the Langham Pasadena | 1401 S Oak Knoll Ave, Pasadena, CA 91106.
The Tap Room at the Langham Pasadena is an upscale bar featuring classic handmade cocktails, premium beers on tap, upscale bar food and live music.
4. Kings Row Gastropub| 20 E Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91103
Popular gastropub featuring a scratch kitchen and large outdoor space.
LUNCHTIME VEGETARIAN-FRIENDLY CHEESEBURGER CRAWL
1. Green Street Restaurant | 146 Shopper’s Ln.Pasadena, CA 91101.
Green Street Restaurant has been a Pasadena tradition since 1979 has a housemade Quinoa patty, roasted Pasilla chilies, pepper jack cheese, fresh greens and chipotle aioli.
2. True Food Kitchen |168 W. Colorado Blvd Pasadena, CA 91105.
Select from vegan, vegetarian, naturally organic, gluten free, and paleo.
3. The Stand | 36 S El Molino Ave, Pasadena, CA 91101.
The Stand is one the newest participants to the list and has a great stand made veggie burgers.
4. Pie ‘n Burger| 913 E. California Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91106
This old school burger joint offers a very satisfying vegetarian burger, which is basically their famous burger with a veggie patty. It’s delicious.