Here’s what you need to know about the new order.
On Wednesday, Mayor Eric Garcetti announced that all L.A. residents are now required to wear a face mask or covering when leaving the home. This excludes small children and those with underlying health conditions or disabilities.
The news coincides with the loosening of restrictions and a continual rise in the number of deaths and cases. It also follows recent updates that require masks on public transport and at airports. This change aims to slow the spread, allowing the economy to reopen in a more significant way.
Garcetti stated that masks should be carried with you whenever you leave your home. “That will help us get more freedoms,” he said.
However, the new order states that this is “not a substitute for other critical measures to slow the spread of COVID-19 — most importantly, staying home as much as possible, washing hands frequently, and practicing safe physical distancing of at least 6 feet in all settings.”
Where face coverings are currently required in L.A.:
- On public transport. This includes throughout journeys in airports, Metro trains and Metro buses
- In grocery stores, restaurants open for pickups or takeout.
- In any public recreational space including golf courses, beaches (not required when swimming), hiking trails, and parks.
What type of face covering should I wear?
Anything material that safely covers your nose and mouth such as bandana, scarf, or piece of cloth. You can learn how to make your own make here, or find out more from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). You can also find links to local manufacturers selling face coverings at the L.A. Protects website
Face covering 101:
- Wash after each use in hot water with detergent
- Keep a used face mask separate from other articles
- Wash your hands in warm water with soap for at least 20 seconds before handling a mask
- Discard cloth face coverings with tears, or that no longer stay in place
- Surgical masks should be used once and should not be used if they are moist or soiled in any way
Featured Image: Kate Trifo